The following lotteries are exempt from the licensing provisions of the Lottery and Gaming Regulations 2008:
- Minor Lotteries - a minor lottery is a lottery where the total retail value of all prizes in the lottery does not exceed $5,000
- Minor Bingo Sessions - a minor bingo session is where the total gross proceeds in each session does not exceed $500
- Sweepstakes - a sweepstakes is a scheme where money is paid into a pool and all or part of this money is distributed as prizes to persons who have drawn the winner's chances from the results of specified racing events conducted within or outside South Australia. The gross proceeds of a sweepstakes cannot exceed $2,000
- Raffles of a private nature conducted among persons engaged in common employment where the total value of the prize does not exceed $25
- Participation Lotteries - a lottery to encourage the participation of members at functions at no cost (other than the cost to be a member) conducted by an association and prizes do not exceed $5,000.
- Calcutta sweepstakes - a sweepstakes conducted by an association where the winning chances arising from the results of certain sporting events are auctioned and the gross proceeds do not exceed $15,000,
- Lotteries where all proceeds are given in prizes - a lottery where the gross proceeds to not exceed $2,000 and the whole of the proceeds of the lottery after deduction of the administrative expenses, constitute the prizes.
- Minor trade promotion lotteries - a trade promotion lottery conducted by an organisation to promote the sale of their goods or services, other than a major trade promotion lottery or a trade promotion (instant prize) lottery.
These lotteries do not require a lottery licence however they must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of the Lottery and Gaming Regulations 2008.
Forms, Fees and Fact Sheets
Please refer to the Forms, Fees and Fact Sheets page.
Lottery Licensing contact information
Visit the websites below to find information on fundraising lottery legislation in other States and Territories
Page Last Updated: 4-7-2009
| Email Us |
| Return to top of this page |